A "loophole" is an ambiguity in a system, such as a law or security, which can be used to circumvent or otherwise avoid the intent, implied or explicitly stated, of the system. Loopholes are searched for and used strategically in a variety of circumstances, including taxes, elections, politics, the criminal justice system, or in breaches of security.
"Loophole" is an often misused term when discussing tax practices. At different times, legitimate tax planning strategies are referred to as "Loopholes" by politicians and the media, when the original intention of the law was to provide incentives and equity. This page is filled with Tips that may reflect updates and changes for your tax and business needs and useful reference Links.
Links and Tips
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
Congress has approved and the President has signed new economic stimulus legislation, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. Click here for some key highlights.
- Business Tip of the Month
- Financial Tip of the Month
- Tax Tip of the Week
- CMJ Online Newsletter
- Client Update
We do not endorse any business or product you may find as a result of these links. The links were chosen as a sample of what the Internet has to offer. There are many fine companies on the Internet, but there are also those who should never be allowed to sell anything to anyone.
We caution you: do not enter into any agreement or purchase anything via the Internet until you and your advisors are satisfied that you are getting what you are paying for.
The various reference links and calculators will provide you with food for thought. Any computations you arrive at with these sources should be considered rough estimates. If you are looking for numbers you can rely on, please call us for assistance.
Government and Political Sites:
- New York State
- Find out how Congress votes
- Bills before Congress and The Federal Register
- Vote smart - political topics plus status of current legislation
Reference Material and Lookup Sites:
- Currency converter
- Zip code lookup
- Business yellow pages
- Webster's dictionary and thesaurus
- Official U.S. time by zones
- Time zones around the world
- Measurement converter
- Calculators for almost any job under the sun
- The ultimate reference desk
- Search NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database
- Google search engine
Local Business Links
- Albany Online
- Adirondack Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Local Adirondack Regional City and Town Chambers of Commerce
- Asset Preservation Inc.
- HELPCo. Business Computer Professionals
- Lake George Chamber of Commerce
- NYCD Blue
- Saratoga Chamber of Commerce
- Saratoga Economic Development Corporation
- Schroon Lake Chamber of Commerce
- Warren County Economic Development Corporation
- Warrensburg Chamber of Commerce
- Washington County Chamber of Commerce